Friday, September 19, 2008

Use your leftovers, $$CHEAP$$

Leftovers are a touchy subject for me. Some stuff I simply will not eat reheated. I do not like warmed over pastas. I don't mean to be picky, I just don't like it, that's all. The best leftovers are soups and soup-style dishes. Chili gets better every time you reheat it. We all have our likes and dislike, and certain leftovers I just won't eat. That's where its handy to have a German Shepherd that doesn't seem to mind one bit what I throw in front of her!

I ate and shared most of the beef stew. I had about a quart or two leftover and got a good idea on what to do with it other than nuke it and gobble it down. On my way home from work I stopped at the store and got an already-made double pie crust. Cheating? Yeah, a little but I was hungry and making a pie crust didn't appeal to me in any way. It was $2.12 and made life real easy. They come rolled up, so you simply unroll it into your favorite pie pan. Mine happens to be a Pyrex. They heat evenly, in my opinion definitely the way to go. Pour the beef stew in, roll on the top crust. Trim and crimp the edges, and cut some vent-slits in the top. I baked it for a little over an hour, or until golden and flaky in a 350 degree oven.


Here's the mostly eaten finished product.


Photobucket


Photobucket

No comments: