Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cheeseburger Meatloaf

Meatloaf dinner was a staple in my home growing up. As a kid, it wasn't my favorite thing. My mother makes a great meatloaf. I love it now. I guess I was just being a brat-child. Thinking back, I guess I thought it was weird to put oatmeal & egg in meat.

Maybe it was the fact that my dad told us that when he made meatloaf it was actually cat-loaf?

Whether you like it or not in 2007, it was voted the 7th favorite dish in the United States according to the Good Housekeeping website. The "loaf" shape is made by either cooking it in a loaf pan, or forming it by hand on an ordinary baking pan (my mom's way.) Mom also added the oatmeal to the meatloaf to stretch the meat. It all makes sense now, there was seven of us!

In any case it's one of those things I love now. Here's how I made mine cheeseburger style.

Photobucket

Bacon. No I don't use bacon in everything, just everything lately! Hey, it's cheeseburger meatloaf. Who dosen't like bacon on a cheeseburger? Anyway, I used half of this package which was 6oz. Chop it up and get it crispy.

Photobucket

Take two pounds of ground beef and add the following:

Photobucket

6oz of tomato paste

Photobucket

A few TBSP of mustard

Photobucket

Sticking with meatloaf tradition we gotta add something to stretch the meat. Stuffing mix. I learned this trick from my friend jLoud. It seasons the meat nicely. I've used crushed Cheese-It crackers too. Either way is good.

Photobucket

One egg.

Photobucket

Mix well.

Photobucket

Don't forget about the bacon. Once its done, drain it and set aside until later.

Photobucket

Take mixture and set it on plastic wrap. Flatten it out by hand and then cover the top with another sheet of plastic wrap.

Photobucket

Now use a rolling pin to roll it into a nice flat even meat-sheet.

Photobucket

Now its time to top the meat-sheet with the cheeseburger stuff.

Photobucket

Chopped onion

Photobucket

Chopped pickles

Photobucket

Chopped tomatoes, american cheese, and the bacon.

Photobucket

Now put the plastic wrap back over it and push the ingredients into the meat. Don't crush it, just push them into it lightly. Keep it covered and put it in the freezer for about 20 miniutes to firm up a little. This makes it much easier to roll up. I have been rolling up meatloafs like a roulade for a while. I like the way it distributes the ingredients evenly and it looks really cool when you slice it to have a spiral shaped slice. Something a little different than the traditional "loaf" but thats what I like.

Photobucket

Start the roll by hand for about one turn.

Photobucket

Now that there's a turn it it, grab the plastic wrap and a straight edge.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is very simple. As you pull the plastic wrap out from under the meat it really rolls up itself.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Boom! Done.

Photobucket

Place on a rack and put some foil under it to cach drippings for easy clean up.

Photobucket

Use a probe thermometer and bake in 350 degree oven until internal temp reaches 160, about 40 miniutes or so.

Photobucket

Looks good! Let is rest for about 10 min before cutting.

Photobucket

Plate up and enjoy.

Ingredients List
  • 2 lbs of ground beef
  • (1) 6oz can of tomato paste
  • yellow mustard
  • stuffing mix
  • (1) Egg
  • several strips of bacon
  • (1) tomato
  • 1/2 onion
  • dill pickles
  • american cheese

1 comment:

Euketer said...

Yummy, a total comfort food recipe! Cool blog Josh!