Thursday, October 30, 2008

Self's "Cuban Sandwich"

The traditional Cuban Sandwich is a favorite of mine. The ham, roast pork and dill pickle is an unbeatable combo. I have made these before on the gas grill using fire bricks wrapped in foil for some friends this summer and they were quite the hit.



This is a varation that I made using regular whole wheat sandwich bread rather than the tradition hoagie style bun. I substituted simply because thats what I had on hand. One day I will invest in a nice cast iron steak weight, which will make things like this alot easier.



I didn't have any roast pork but I did have some thin cut pork chops. They were thin but not thin enough to use for a sandwhich.



Photobucket



Photobucket



Place the pork chop in a plastic bag or plastic wrap (this makes for easy clean up) and pound thin, about 1/4 inch.



Photobucket



Heat up a cast iron skillet on medium high and put a little oil in the bottom. Get it hot, but not scorching. You want to cook the meat fast so it dosen't get tough.



Photobucket



Season the pork with a little black pepper.



Photobucket



Photobucket



Sear it until you can see it starting to turn white on the edges. This won't take long, maybe a miniute or two.

Photobucket

Give it a flip and cook the other side.



Photobucket



While the meat's cooking, get your bread ready. Like I said, I used plain ol' whole wheat because thats what I had on hand. Put on your favorite mustard.



Photobucket



Photobucket



I used a combination of these two for some good spice.



Photobucket



Spread the mustard and add a slice of swiss cheese.



Photobucket



Top the cheese with some slices of ham.



Photobucket



Add the pork chop



Photobucket



Add sliced dill pickle



Photobucket



And finally one more slice of swiss.



Photobucket



Reduce the heat in your pan and melt a little butter.




Photobucket

Photobucket

Put the sandwich in the pan and add a peice of foil over the top. This is where a steak weight would have been handy, but I improvised.

Photobucket

A little "engineering" with a coffee can and a heavy cutting board was my press. Heat thru until crispy on both sides and the cheese in nice and melty.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Slice, plate and enjoy!

Ingredients List

  • pork chop
  • ham
  • 2 slices of swiss cheese
  • favorite mustard
  • dill pickle

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You can also use another frying pan on top to weigh down and flatten the sandwich. That's what I use when I make paninis like that.